Austrian Economics Book Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone started the reading yet?

3 posters

Go down

Has anyone started the reading yet? Empty Has anyone started the reading yet?

Post  Jeremiah Patterson Thu May 10, 2012 3:53 am

This is a forum test, and I was wondering if anyone had starting reading the book yet. I'm about 40 pages into it, and I think it will make for some great discussion that ties into our discussion last week.

Jeremiah Patterson

Back to top Go down

Has anyone started the reading yet? Empty Re: Has anyone started the reading yet?

Post  bcrowder Sun May 13, 2012 7:40 am

from page 4: "Mises's answer is that economics is the science of human action. In itself, this may not sound very controversial. But
then Mises says of the science of economics:
Its statements and propositions are not derived from experience. They are, like those of logic and
mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification and falsification on the ground of experience and
facts. They are both logically and temporally antecedent to any comprehension of historical facts."

I assume "they" refers to the statements and propositions

bcrowder

Back to top Go down

Has anyone started the reading yet? Empty Re: Has anyone started the reading yet?

Post  SamuelVanderwaal Sun May 13, 2012 7:02 pm

bcrowder wrote:from page 4: "Mises's answer is that economics is the science of human action. In itself, this may not sound very controversial. But
then Mises says of the science of economics:
Its statements and propositions are not derived from experience. They are, like those of logic and
mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification and falsification on the ground of experience and
facts. They are both logically and temporally antecedent to any comprehension of historical facts."

I assume "they" refers to the statements and propositions

Yes. Mises developed his theory of economics following the Kantian idea of synthetic a priori knowledge. Hoppe is saying that according to Mises' theory the laws of economics cannot be disproved or falsified through empirical testing as they are developed logically.

SamuelVanderwaal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down